From Cruises to Cemeteries

We have now been back from our holidays for a week. The holiday feeling may be disappearing but, the memories will last forever. We did two back to back cruises and visited Corfu, Koper, Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Chania, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Athens and Olympia. A superb time was had and I was also able to carry on getting up early and study in my favourite restaurant before it opened for breakfast! A great relaxing way to learn.

20160707_140556

Louise and I on the start line (balbis) at Olympia.

My essay title for the post medieval module has been chosen. The title is “How has historical archaeology contributed to our understanding of death and burial since 1700? Make sure you discuss at least one example of why this work is sometimes controversial. I am now in the reading and planning stage and spending time photographing gravestones and gathering evidence..I shall let you know how it goes.

Looking forward to a fieldschool from Saturday 24th July at the renowned SHARP excavations at Sedgeford in Norfolk. I am very excited by this as I used to visit this site a lot in the 90’s and early 2000’s whilst on holiday in the area.

Before going on holiday, I was able to visit the Uni excavations at Bradgate park and meet up with fellow DL students which was a real treat.

I am very pleased that two fellow members of the Arch DL virtual student café have won prizes for being best level one students at Arch and Classical Arch/Ancient History. Massive well done to Beverly and Andreas. that’s all for now, a lot of exciting things to do.

Mark.

Mark

About Mark

Hi, I'm Mark from Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. I am currently about to start my third year of study on the part time Archaeology BA distance learning course. I am married with grown up children and five grandsons and one grandaughter. I work full time for Severn Trent Water but have an Army background. I am loving the course so far and would encourage anyone with a passion for Archaeology to follow me to Leicester.

View more posts by Mark

Subscribe to Mark's posts