Level two, year three, onwards and upwards!

Hi everyone, it was nice to get feedback recently that my blogs have helped at least one person to decide to study Archaeology at Leicester.
Summer has well and truly gone and darkness draws in. My 0530-0630 morning study sessions now feel like the middle of the night! October also brings the start of level two of Archaeology BA study and an increase in pace and assignments…bring it on!
I have been involved in the excavating of test pits in advance of possible house building. We discovered what we believe to be Prehistoric enclosures dating to the mid-late Iron age that were cut by a substantial medieval wall. Plenty of pottery from both periods but no other. Prehistoric enclosures are very rare as extant earthworks in our area and their survival can be put down to the geology of the land that they stand on, full of limestone and never ploughed.
I am looking forward to a course on using a Total Station/GPS in a couple of weeks with Op. Nightingale Heritage which I’m sure will be a very useful skill.

The DL Archaeology Virtual Student Café is still thriving with membership increasing steadily. I think that’s about it for now. I have an essay on the Scientific analysis of pottery to finish this weekend and also need to finish a T-test of two cattle bone assemblages! All good fun. Any comments or questions, get in touch and I will get back to you ASP.

Mark

About Mark

Hi, I'm Mark from Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. I am currently about to start my third year of study on the part time Archaeology BA distance learning course. I am married with grown up children and five grandsons and one grandaughter. I work full time for Severn Trent Water but have an Army background. I am loving the course so far and would encourage anyone with a passion for Archaeology to follow me to Leicester.

View more posts by Mark

Subscribe to Mark's posts

2 responses to “Level two, year three, onwards and upwards!”

1. Kristy Swartz

Hello,

My name is Kristy Swartz and I am a graduate of Anthropology at Washington State University. I am looking for an online Archaeology or Anthropology Masters program. I have significant archaeology field experience. Can you give me some feedback regarding UoL and their Distance Learning Program please?

Thank you so much.

Kristy