Struggles of being Dyslexic in an Academic Environment

So I found out that I was dyslexic in 2014/2015 and this was something which I won’t lie, demoralised me quite a lot actually but also at the same time gave me some answers that I desperately wanted more than anything!

I had absolutely flunked my first year of A-Levels which caused another huge confidence drop, I am not using my dyslexia as an excuse but it wasn’t a surprise when I was told I have dyslexia.

It was a massive worry of mine when I was applying for different Universities that I would fall behind because my spelling is as good, and sometimes I go off on tangents, so the point I’m making isn’t really made which for a University essay is definitely not a good thing.

However the Accessibility Centre which is located in the library are a HUGE helping hand, they help with everything from making essay plans to exam arrangements and this has truly helped me in every way.

Also, a big thing for me, was telling my personal tutor about my worries with my Dyslexia. Overcoming my struggles with dyslexia definitely makes me a stronger person and makes me a better person because I understand that I have to put more work in. But it is worth noting that this extra work makes my work so much better, not just in grammar but also in its content, because I have more time to read and more time to develop the content of the essay which gets me a better grade.

The overall message that I want to spread to everyone is that sometimes hurdles are presented, some are permanent and some are temporary, no matter what these hurdles are you need to overcome them and there are ways that they can be overcome and you need to work on overcoming them. In my case, one of my hurdles is my Dyslexia but every day I am working to overcome it!

Keep working hard

Brit x

About Brit

Hi guys, I'm Brit a second-year Ancient History and History student originally from Yorkshire. I'm into sports, promoting positive mental health as well as giving you study hacks and tips to help you during your time at Leicester.

View more posts by Brit

Subscribe to Brit's posts