Varsity Series… Netball

So… my Varsity series continues, with Varsity coming closer and closer, I got in touch with the Netball ladies who were happy to answer questions about their Varsity preparations!
First up we have Funlola, who is 19, she studies Psychology and plays GK.
  1. What does Varsity mean to you? she said  that Varsity to me means representing your uni and showcasing talent
  2. How do you prepare for varsity? We prepare for varsity by doing a number of different drills in training and have a lot of match play
  3. How do you prepare for training outside the club? I prepare for training outside the club by going to the gym and working on my fitness.
  4. What keeps you motivated? Knowing that we win as a team and lose as a team but that ultimately relies on how much we work together.
  5. Why do you like netball and why do you play? When I was younger my sports teacher recommended that try out netball as she thought I would be good at it. Since then I’ve been playing netball for a number of different clubs. I enjoy netball as it is a nice way to keep active and fit.
 Next is Mia, who is 20, she studies Geography and is the Publicity Sec
  1. What does Varsity mean to you? Varsity is the time when all of Team Leicester works together to be the best in the city, it’s a great time for morale and all-round support from teams you might not usually speak to.
  2. How do you prepare for varsity?  We have skill specific training to target weaker areas that might have come up this season so far. We also have a strength and conditioning session to make sure we’re physically our best
  3. How do you prepare for training outside the club? I use the uni gym often.
  4. What keeps you motivated? Knowing that ULNC netball has won for over the last two decades – we’d hate to break that tradition.
  5. Why do you like netball and why do you play?  I love netball because it’s such a huge club and committee genuinely try to make sure everyone is enjoying not just the club but uni – it’s more of a family and you’re with them like 5 days a week. I played in secondary school and was always advised to join a society at uni.
 Finally, it is Holly, she is 19, studies Neuroscience and plays Centre or Wing Attack
  1. What does Varsity mean to you? Means so much- it is a great way to showcase what we’ve been working so hard on all year! Brings the whole club together- everyone gets so involved at this time of year!
  2. How do you prepare for varsity? Playing other teams that we wouldn’t normally play- for example, 4ths had a practice game against the 5ths. In training, fitness is really ramped up to ensure we are all at peak for the big day!
  3. How do you prepare for training outside the club? Drinking ban- at least a week before to ensure we are all feeling fresh! I also increase my cardio sessions to ensure I don’t fatigue during the game.
  4. What keeps you motivated?  Knowing we will smash DMU!!! Such a great feeling with the whole club behind you!
  5. Why do you like netball and why do you play? I love the social aspect of Netball- Netball is like a family to me- met some of my favourite girls ever there! I play because I enjoy the sport- so much fun, great fitness!

I hope you enjoyed hearing what netball get up to!

Enjoy

Brit x

Brit

About Brit

Hi guys, I'm Brit a second-year Ancient History and History student originally from Yorkshire. I'm into sports, promoting positive mental health as well as giving you study hacks and tips to help you during your time at Leicester.

View more posts by Brit

Subscribe to Brit's posts