The Struggle of Motivation

The Easter Holidays are a time for revision/essay writing. Because of all the hard work that has been put in this year, it is really difficult to keep motivation levels high at this time of the year, when arguably motivation needs to be at its highest. Most students go home during this holiday and it is easy to sidetrack by friends and family that you haven’t seen in a long time, but you cannot let this happen. Here are some tips that I use to keep my motivation just as high when I started uni in September.

1. Find out what you need to do. If you don’t know what you need to do how can you do it? At the start of every holiday, I write myself a list of tasks that I need to complete. Because of this, there are no nasty surprises when I go back to uni.
  2. Make a timetable. Use the list you have made of tasks and plan out your days. Put in any days you can’t do due to part-time jobs or seeing friends but make sure that you stick to this timetable as it will help you get all your work done on time.
  3. Be honest with yourself. If you know you aren’t going to get up at 6am every day or go to bed until 1am DO NOT timetable yourself for this. You want to be honest with yourself about what you can do and when you’re going to do it.
  4. Have free time. Yes, you need to revise and write essays and that’s fine. But schedule in free time and I don’t mean just breaks. Have an afternoon off every so often and do something you enjoy. This will mean that you aren’t just focusing on revision but also getting out and about which is important for your physical and mental health.
  5. Get Enough Sleep. It is guaranteed that you will be/feel stressed but it is so important that you get enough sleep. Sleep (of the right amount) is incredibly beneficial and will help your overall productivity. So please make sure you get enough sleep!
  6. Turn off/get rid of any distractions. When you’re revising the last thing you need is a text message or a snapchat which could then distract you for hours. Something that I do when revising is that I turn off my phone and I put it in a drawer in a separate room. Once I have completed everything that I wanted to do I will then get my phone back. It seems a very childlike way of doing it but my productivity is high.

I hope that these tips have helped increase your productivity! There are so many more that I could mention, but for me, these are the main ones I stick by.

Good Luck with your exams and coursework

Brit x

Brit

About Brit

Hi guys, I'm Brit a second-year Ancient History and History student originally from Yorkshire. I'm into sports, promoting positive mental health as well as giving you study hacks and tips to help you during your time at Leicester.

View more posts by Brit

Subscribe to Brit's posts

2 responses to “The Struggle of Motivation”

1. Leon

Nice tips, thank you