Grad jobs

So I graduate in less than 6 months which is super scary as Uni has been my safety net for the past 2 and a half years. It’s mad to think that the people I live with and consider my closest pals were strangers a mere 3 years ago. But, as graduation approaches, we all must look into what we’re going to do next! There are so many opportunities out there especially with a chemistry degree, so the world really is your oyster!

Personally, I’m applying to study medicine as the first time I applied it didn’t really work out. However, this time I feel I have more of a chance of getting in as I am in a much better position. Many of my friends are applying for internships/ jobs via grad schemes working with respected companies such as: HSBC, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline and Rolls Royce. As chemistry is such a versatile and respected degree, so many individuals are successful in securing a good job upon graduation- and getting a good mark will help set you apart from other applicants even more.
If going straight into a career is not for you, then there’s always further study within Chemistry! Many of my friends are applying for masters with a range of grades, so if you haven’t got a 1st, or a 2.1 it doesn’t necessarily mean that you cannot continue with further study.

The most important thing is to apply to as many schemes as possible, check the department emails (there are so many opportunities emailed to us), and do your research.

Don’t be disheartened if you get rejected, there are so many students who apply to the schemes, but if you show your enthusiasm, commitment and get good results, you are likely to stand above the rest.

If you’re still searching for inspiration, try attending the guest lecturer slots on Wednesdays, they are very interesting and may give you an idea of the line of work you want to go into. The added bonus is that you also may get to exchange email addresses with the lecturer, so you will already have a point of contact.

Keep ploughing through the lengthy applications, and if stuck speak to the department careers advisor or the careers service- there will be something you’re interested in pursuing!

Katie

About Katie

Hello, my name is Katie and I am a final year Chemistry student (yes, can't quite believe it myself!) I will be blogging about what I get up to in the Chemistry department and how to balance workload with sport. When not in lectures, even though it does seem like we spend all our time in them... I'll be either in the gym/ out at Mosh/O2 spending money on countless VKs (obviously tropical/ orange as green VKs are horrid!) I am also both dyslexic and dyspraxic, so will give an insight on what it's like and what you can do if you too have been diagnosed with a specific "learning difficulty" of similar nature.

View more posts by Katie

Subscribe to Katie's posts