Surviving Exam Stress

It is now a week into the exam season, so far I have only had one, but I know of a few people who have finished already. Unfortunately for me my last exam isn’t until the 5th of June, so another few weeks to go yet. I have never been one to get overly stressed through the exam period, but I know for a lot of people it’s a very stressful period. Over my time at university, which is swiftly approaching an end, I have learnt a lot about how to survive the exam period and minimise stress so here is a roundup of my top tips:

1. Stop procrastinating! If I have learnt one thing about myself through university, it’s that my ability to procrastinate knows no bounds. As interesting as It may be to scroll through every article on the BBC, or see what random websites stumble-upon may bring up, ultimately it’s not going to help you pass your exams. I find that doing lots of short revision sessions is best, it minimizes the time I have to focus but I still achieve lots as the quantity of sessions is high.
  1. Ensure that you eat well; pot noodles are not a meal, as quick as they may be. If you are worried about time make a few big batches of pasta, chili con carne or other meals that you can freeze then quickly heat up as you need them. Your revision will benefit if you are well fed and are getting all the nutrients that your body needs to function.
  1. Sleep is another important factor in the success of your revision. Just because the library is open for 24 hours doesn’t mean you need to be there till the early hours of the morning every single day, you will end up run down and unable to concentrate.
  1. Be positive about things, getting yourself all worked up because your worst exam is coming up, or you don’t think your essay is good enough won’t help to achieve anything. Exams aren’t the be all and end all at the end of the day, don’t think about the grade, just get your head down and do the work, there’s nothing more you can do. At least then if it doesn’t go your way you know you gave it your best shot.

Anyone who has exams reading this I’d like to wish you luck for the all! Remember what I’ve said and relax, they’ll all be over soon.

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts