My experience at the Deutsche Bank – Autistica Hackathon

I participated in the Autistica Hackathon, organised by Deutsche Bank on 9th and 10th November 2016. I traveled from Leicester and stayed the night before in London to attend the Hackathon next day.

The aim of the Hackathon was to develop apps for Autistic people in order to help them with their anxiety. As I am part of the ‘Student To Stemettes’ program, I was really pleased to be one of eight student stemettes to be selected to attend the Hackathon. I was in a team of eight people and our team name was ‘Grey Beard’, the name came along because most of the members of my team were very high up managers, directors and in fact included the CTO of the Deutsche Bank. Initially, I thought it will be challenging to be in the team with these very experienced and high up people but, I was amazed to see they were very friendly and it was great to network with them.

It was a 24 hour global Hackathon, where teams participated from around the globe which included St. Petersburg, Frankfurt, Bucharest, Pune, Bangalore etc. We started around noon on Wednesday the 9th Nov, with a brainstorm and soon became clearer on that we were planning to achieve. We used the Amazon Web Services (AWS) and utilised the cloud-computing service to host our app. We used various AWS resources and infrastructures such as Amazon EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, Dynamo Database etc. Our app was aimed at parents, carers as well as autistic people. It records the time and location of any event happened and provides a history, which is useful for carers to track the behaviour of the autistic person. Another feature of this app was to provide various remedies to autistic people to manage their anxiety.

Next day, around 1 pm the Hackathon stops and it was the time for presentations. Various teams from around the world presented their ideas with great enthusiasm. I enjoyed presenting our app along with other team members and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event. Through this Hackathon, I got the wonderful opportunity to network with the graduates and other Deutsche Bank employees and found out more about the friendly and welcoming working environment at Deutsche Bank.

I highly encourage other students to become part of the Student to Stemettes (STS) program and you too can get wonderful opportunities to attend various events including Hackathons. More information on the STS program can be found here.

db-hackathon-photo

db-hackathon

Oishi Deb

About Oishi Deb

Hi I am Oishi, a Software and Electronics Engineering student back at the University for my final year following a wonderful placement year at Rolls Royce. I will be blogging about everything from my industrial placement experience, final year studies to what I get up to in my free time. Stay tuned to read about all the great experiences I am going to share about the University and hope to give you an insight into the life of a student at the University of Leicester till I graduate.

View more posts by Oishi Deb

Subscribe to Oishi Deb's posts