Attending Women’s Engineering Society (WES) Conference

I attended the Women’s Engineering Society (WES) Student – Engineering Inspiration Conference 2016 on the 18 and 19th of November. Through this conference, I got the opportunity over two days to meet engineering students from different universities and talk informally with engineers at different stages of their profession about the options, opportunities, and experiences of engineering careers.

The event was hosted by the Aston University Department of Engineering and Applied Science. Various company representatives were present from BAE Systems, Procter & Gamble, Leonardo, BP, Finning UK, Mars, Petcare UK, Instron, and FM Global.

The conference began with a welcome speech from the first fellow of WES. This followed by keynote speeches from BAE Systems and P&G engineers. We had a talk on Trenchless technology from the Watershed Associates representative and then we took part in an interactive group workshop.

After a nice networking dinner, the day concluded with a talk from the Director of Engineering and Education at the Royal Academy of Engineering on diversity in this field.

Next day, the event kicked started with a welcome speech from the president of WES which was then followed by the WES Young Member’s Board and WES student group sessions.

I attended two CPD/ Professional Engineering Competencies, the first session involves developing practical skills and the second one was on Design and Development of Processes, Systems, Services and Products. After a short break, we attended a panel session on Technical and Commercial Leadership from industry professionals.

The conference concluded with a final talk on the Global Engineering challenges and how engineering can tackle these challenges from the WES student conference chair.

I really enjoyed attending the conference, I developed skills and boosted my networking skills through CPD workshops, panel discussions and networking activities.

A total of 165 people attended over the two days, I really enjoyed networking with the students, career engineers, sponsors, WES volunteers and staff. There were 118 students from 23 different universities attended the conference. The sponsors provided bursaries to attend the conference and I was very pleased to be selected as one of 11 students to receive a bursary space.

This conference takes place every year and I highly encourage other students to attend the conference and also to apply for the bursary.

Oishi Deb

About Oishi Deb

Hi I am Oishi, a Software and Electronics Engineering student back at the University for my final year following a wonderful placement year at Rolls Royce. I will be blogging about everything from my industrial placement experience, final year studies to what I get up to in my free time. Stay tuned to read about all the great experiences I am going to share about the University and hope to give you an insight into the life of a student at the University of Leicester till I graduate.

View more posts by Oishi Deb

Subscribe to Oishi Deb's posts