BCS Women Lovelace Colloquium 2017 part 1

I attended the 10th BCS Women Lovelace Colloquium at the Aberystwyth University, Wales. This is an annual one-day conference for women students of Computing and related subjects.

Alongside keynote speeches and talks, this conference also includes poster presentations from all year undergraduates and master students. Students were encouraged to submit an abstract for their poster in any topic related to computing. The poster finalists not only got the opportunity to present their poster at the conference but also received travel scholarships to attend the event.

I was really pleased to become a finalist for the poster presentation and presented my third-year project work which is about ‘Embedded systems reliability’ supervised by Dr Luciano Ost.

I networked with other poster presenters from different universities and was thrilled to know about their exciting project works. The day was jam-packed with talks and speeches. The keynote speaker was Dr. Sue Black OBE and the founder of BCS Women. She talked about her life and career to date and motivated us to follow our dreams. Dr. Sue Black is not only a computer scientist and academic but also a social entrepreneur. Dr. Black played the pivotal role to save Bletchley Park, the site for British code breakers during World War II, through her Saving Bletchley Park campaign.

After the talk, I got the opportunity to speak to Dr. Black, she is such an inspiring person and yet very humble and friendly. During the conversation with Dr. Black, I came to know that she knows my tutor, Dr. Neil Walkinshaw, through various research work. What a coincidence!!!

with Dr. Sue Black

My next blog will provide further news about the rest of the day from this conference 🙂

Oishi Deb

About Oishi Deb

Hi I am Oishi, a Software and Electronics Engineering student back at the University for my final year following a wonderful placement year at Rolls Royce. I will be blogging about everything from my industrial placement experience, final year studies to what I get up to in my free time. Stay tuned to read about all the great experiences I am going to share about the University and hope to give you an insight into the life of a student at the University of Leicester till I graduate.

View more posts by Oishi Deb

Subscribe to Oishi Deb's posts