What I’ve learnt

This will be my second to last blog post for the University of Leicester, and I thought I should take this opportunity to write about what I’ve learnt from my time at Leicester. I know it’s impossible to write down everything I’ve learnt throughout my four years, but here are some of the most important ones:

• STARS – The Stars technique has taken me through countless application forms and job interviews. For those of you who don’t know what STARS is, it’s a technique that I learnt through the Careers Development Service during my first year at Leicester. STARS stands for, Situation, Task, Actions, Results and Self Reflection. It’s used to answer questions in job interviews and application forms and it played a big part in me attaining a graduate job.
  • Researching – This skill is definitely something I had to learn as someone studying English and History. Research skills were vital for my essays and exams, and I feel that I can take this skill to any career that I have in the future. It’s even gotten to the point that I research things for fun, I even have a summer research project that I’ve set for myself.
  • Enjoying the Now – One of the most important things that I’ve learnt in my four years is enjoying the right now. I spend so much time thinking about the future, the next assignment, the next pay check5, the next holiday that I sometimes miss out of the now. After my year abroad, I’ve learnt to just enjoy the moment, even if that moment is panicking over an essay. I’ve learnt to appreciate the circumstance that I’m in because I will never be at that place and time again. I will never be an 18-year-old starting uni for the first time again, no matter how many degrees I do in the future.

I still can’t believe that I’m no longer a student. I’ve learnt from every aspect of my student life, the good, the bad and the ugly. And all of it has contributed to the person I am right now.

Khadija

About Khadija

Hey, my name is Khadija, I am an English and History undergraduate student. I will be blogging about my year abroad in France. I am obsessed with History, especially Medieval History and love to read, hence the English half of my degree. Throughout the year I’ll be keeping you updated on all the excitements of living abroad, the differences and similarities to Leicester , and all the things I’ll learn living abroad.

View more posts by Khadija

Subscribe to Khadija's posts