Freedom – or not

Freedom: I moved back to Uni this week and have enjoyed a great sense of freedom and control that I have found comes with living alone. At home there are multiple distractions and temptations that sway me from my intended routine – like TiVo,  Hula Hoops, our piano and the ladybirds that decided to hibernate in the corner of my bedroom. With regards to my new years resolution that included buying locally from the Leicester market in the town centre, I made a trip the other day with my wheeled tote bag (not a shopping trolley :P) and got a massive bargain on fruit and veg – around 8 large sweet potatoes, 8 large oranges, 12 quite large carrots, 8 large onions for only £4!

Or not: Despite this rekindled freedom, I have also become a slave to revision and have been unable to leave my house for extended periods of time. I keep thinking of all the time I will have and all the things I want to do after exams are over, in the gap before lectures start again, but chances are that by that time I will have a million other things I want to do. Also I have found that it is much easier to be productive,  and find motivation to do the things that you want to do, when you have a much less-exciting project or goal to work for at the same time. For example at the moment I really want to get on with organising our Go Green Week Project and Environmental Action Society event, which I will blog more about later, and although I know I will have time to do this after exams, doing a little bit here and there as a break from revision, I am probably doing more for it than I would be with lots of free time. When you have free time I am tempted relax more and see it as a chance to reward myself for working super hard, rather than catching up on everything I wanted to do. Does anyone else get this?

Anyway I hope everyone is having a good new year and keeping up with their resolutions. Good luck with your revision!

Caroline

Caroline

About Caroline

Hey! I'm Caroline and I'm in my second year studying BSc Geography. I have a strong interest in environmental issues and enjoy music, art and volunteering outside of studying. I'll be blogging about my course and life at Leicester as well as proving that Geography isn't just colouring in maps!

View more posts by Caroline

Subscribe to Caroline's posts