**A New Project!!! **

Do you want to inspire others into loving your favourite subject? Do you enjoy working as part of a team? If so… Have you ever considered teaching as a career? I certainly have.

My goal began during our careers talk day during the spring semester of my first year here. Like everybody else, I needed a path way in life and needed to start thinking about what I was going to do long term. I went into a talk about becoming a teacher (either secondary or primary) and realised it was I absolutely going to love. As much as I love rocks, and the geology course is fab, I can’t see myself as working as an oil rigger, or doing an office job. I love socialising and being with people. Above all else, children are just the best to work with!! And there it was, in a nut shell, what I wanted to do with my life.

Okay. Cool. Job title set to go. Now what?

I researched for a while and began to quickly understand that any sector you choose requires work experience to get a job. Some people in life are lucky, if you’re training to nursing – it’s built into your course (same for many others). However, for a PGCE in teaching, any form of job with geology, or basically any academic subject – you need to have some idea fairly early on to get some experience doing the job.

Using this basis, myself and 3 of my friends (Dani, Jordan and Dan) decided to apply for the Holloway Bursary Fund through the university. Basically, you get a small amount of money, plus money for resources to go and give an insight into geology; reaching as many people as possible. Our application got accepted to teach volcanoes and earthquakes to years 5 and 6, primary level.

Therefore, to maximise the impact that this project has, I will blog about our experience and findings when we go to teach. I am really looking forward to telling you all about how wonderful this project can be, I hope you all find it useful too. Watch out for photographs!!

See you all soon!

___________________________________________________________________________________

As always, RECIPE TIME!

Super Easy Cheesy Macaroni

Serves 1!!!

WHAT YOU NEED

100g of pasta
300ml of milk
100g cheese
2 tablespoons of flour
25g butter
Salt + Pepper
Bread (crumbled into little pieces)

METHOD

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
  2. In a sauce pan, put the milk in and warm to simmering point
  3. Add in flour and butter and whisk until just thicker than cream. Do not stop mixing.
  4. Season to taste
  5. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
  6. Boil pasta until soft then drain.
  7. Add the cheese to the milk mixture, and stir. (it will be a lot thicker)
  8. Combine the cheese sauce and pasta. Mix well.
  9. Pour into a oven proof dish.
  10. Spinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven until golden brown.
  11. Serve with your choice of veg or salad!

SUPER YUMMY!

Lori

About Lori

Hello! I’m Lori, a second year undergraduate in Geology Bsc from Worcester. My main enthusiasm in life is rocks and earth’s wonderful surroundings. So most of my blogs will be based around the travel my degree entails, and the adventures that come with it! Besides geology, I love food, cooking, teaching within the community, music and finding a good bargain! 

View more posts by Lori

Subscribe to Lori's posts