Challenge accepted!

Back in November, I wrote a post about being overwhelmed. Well, guess what? It’s that time of year again! It’s nearing the end of term, and not only are deadlines being thrown at you, but big events are happening: namely, the Law Review Launch Event and mooting finals. On top of that, revision period and exams are lurking just around the corner, ready to pounce on you whether you’re ready for them or not.

This week, I’ve been completely overwhelmed by a combination of end of term (which means exams), Chairperson campaigning (shameless plug), and the Launch Event all coinciding. I completely saw this moment coming when I decided to run for Chairperson months ago, but it blindsided me nonetheless. It just goes to show that you can be as prepared as possible for something and still not be ready.

Having said that, an impending doom isn’t necessarily something to be scared of. We should always take all challenges head on and do everything to the best of our ability. If we fail, at least we tried our absolute best and we know what to improve on. If we succeed, then we know what we’ve done is great, but we can still improve and take the next step of mastering whatever the challenge brings forth.

If only I could practice what I preach! This is something I’ve been working on; admittedly, I don’t do everything to the best of my ability and I’ve come to realise this over the past year. Sometimes, when I fail at something, I’m not sure if it’s because I didn’t try my hardest or I genuinely wasn’t good or prepared enough.

Being a uni student, it is difficult to always put 100% into everything you do, so sometimes it is genuinely excusable. But, you should always strive to do your best in everything you do. That’s the challenge that comes with being a student. It’s the only time in your life when you’re going to have to juggle university commitments with or without extra-curricular commitments and you have the luxury of not get fired or kicked out immediately for not fulfilling all your duties.

Just remember that it is okay to say ‘no’ and not accept everything that comes your way – unless it’s an obligation, of course, whether academic or extra-curricular. Do your best in everything you do, which means don’t do everything! Choose wisely what you want to invest time and energy in. If you feel like it’s something productive towards your career goal or personal growth, it’s probably worth it. If it’s something that you feel obligated to do because of your relationship with the person asking, it’s probably worth it. If it’s something that you feel pressured to do and you know you don’t have time for it, then do it and learn from the experience (good or bad), or say ‘no’ and don’t do it at all.

I hope all of this made sense to you! End of term puts me in an introspective/reflective mood where all my thoughts are jumbled up so this makes total sense in my head. To sum it all up, choose your battles wisely but always rise up to the challenge, and whether you win or lose, you’ve still won the fight.

Lucie

About Lucie

Hello! My name is Lucie and I’m a final year LLB student. I’m from Canada, so the goal is to give you some insight on what it’s like to live and study in Leicester from a different perspective! Alongside my studies, I am involved with the Law society and the Swim & Water Polo Club, I do yoga regularly, and I waste away precious hours on film- and graphic design-related things and Netflix.

View more posts by Lucie

Subscribe to Lucie's posts