So…I didn’t get Chairperson!

I wasn’t really sure about posting this blog post, because of how personal it is, but here I go!

On 17th March 2017, we found out about the Law Society election results. I skimmed through the post on Facebook with eager/nervous anticipation; I had no idea who was going to end up being elected. My thought process was as follows (or something like it):

Okay, here we go. Opening the post. Clicking ‘read more’. OMG it could be me or Gabby, I don’t know who it is, I have no idea whose name is going to be there next to ‘Chairperson’. What is all this about an award? Oh, I was there so I don’t need to read any of that. Oh, look, there’s a picture with my face on it. Okay, yes, I was there, moving on. Skimming……AH HA! ELECTION RESULTS! Okay, this is it! This is the – oh, darn, I saw it. Okay so, that’s not my name, that says ‘Gabriella Ezeani’. Okay cool, so Gabby won the election! Gabby is going to be Chairperson next year! Cool. I’m good. No, I’m not. Yes, I am. I applied for Brand Manager, so that’s the next goal to focus on. Cool! Our manifestos were basically opposites and the people have spoken. I’m sad that I won’t be able to implement any of my ideas, but that’s okay. It is what it is. Okay, now let’s write a congratulatory status on Facebook!

It went something like that. I can’t remember my exact reaction because it truly was all a blur. I had a hard time admitting to myself that I really was disappointed. I took a few days for it all to sink in, but I knew that getting over the loss would come with time. It was my first time campaigning and I lost, but the experience was incredible. I learned the basics in streamlining and branding a campaign and I discovered a little more of my aesthetic and style.

A lot of people had really kind words to say about me and my campaign. The only thing I was dreading was the sympathy messages. Those messages and those people that look at you with pity in their eyes and say, ‘Aw, I am so sorry’. Hey, it’s cool! I’m not broken! A majority of the messages I got started off with, ‘Congrats on running such a great campaign’. Those were the kinds of positive messages that I needed at the time; they lifted me up and put one more smile on my face. A few people were unsure about messaging me, but I’m glad that they did in the end. It’s always nice to know you have a caring support system!

I’m not sure I really have a point to this blog post or some sort of message to leave you with, but in the end, this is a little bit of insight into my journey in being unsuccessful at something I really, really wanted. As much as I am writing this blog post with a tinge of sadness, it has really helped me sort out how I’ve been feeling about all of this. Admittedly, the first draft of this blog post was a little frustrated and a little more sad, but I’ve finally come to terms with it all. The committee next year is a strong one and I’m really excited to work with everyone on the team!

From day one, I’ve been treating this loss as a blessing in disguise. I now hold the position of Brand Manager of the Law Society 2017/18 and I couldn’t be more excited! As much as being Chairperson would’ve given me invaluable leadership experience and unparalleled personal growth, Brand Manager will allow me to refine my graphic design skill set, expand my (minimal) marketing knowledge and strategy, build a portfolio, and most importantly, be creative. It worked out perfectly and I can’t wait to get started!

Lucie

About Lucie

Hello! My name is Lucie and I’m a second year LLB student. I’m from Canada, so the goal is to give you some insight on what it’s like to live and study in Leicester from a different perspective! Alongside my studies, I am involved with the Law society and the Swim & Water Polo Club, I do yoga regularly, and I waste away precious hours on film- and graphic design-related things and Netflix.

View more posts by Lucie

Subscribe to Lucie's posts

2 responses to “So…I didn’t get Chairperson!”

1. Emily T

Lucie-

One of the many lovely things about you is how open you are. While being the sunshine in many people’s worlds, you still manage to be real and you share the less-than-sunny moments you endure. I’ve admired that about you from day one. That real-ness is makes you a good friend, an honest friend.

Your campaign was spectacular. You helped make the election what it was: one worth running in and learning about.

Congratulations on becoming Brand Manager! I can’t wait to see where you go with it – and where you go because of it.