A Slight Ray of Hope

Let’s see…somewhere in between pure panic mode and downright desperation, I got an encouraging word. I just happened to check my university email today on a lark. To my surprise, I received an email that confirmed my progression to the dissertation stage of my MSc program.

Honestly, it was a bit of a relief, as I’m sure I’ll have an aneurism before my FRM exam in about 10 days because I’m so unprepared. Actually, the email didn’t guarantee my progression – it made mention that my progression was conditional upon my passing the Research Methods module. At first, I was taken aback, as I read into the email an implication that somehow I had missed a requirement for that module. I immediately searched My Student Record for proof that I had successfully completed the module. Once I located it, I downloaded it and sent it to the distance learning support team to verify my progression to the dissertation.Finally, I received the confirmation that I was looking for – and all was good in the world.

Now that I’m confirmed for the dissertation, I’ve got a bit of a dilemma. I’ve got two assessments due in the next 2 weeks, and I’ve done next to nothing to prepare for them. I can: A) stress myself out, give up sleep, and try to cram everything in to pass the assessments, B) focus on passing only one assessment or the other, as I can graduate with a maximum of 2 failed modules, C) blow off both assessments and gear up for the dissertation, citing the criteria in option B.

Ethically, I have a hard time tanking an assignment on purpose, just because it can be allowed. That would bother me more than not having enough time to study or write the paper. Besides, I’m already thinking of the next University of Leicester degree. While I had been considering the MBA, I have also thought about moving forward and applying for a PhD (my mom would have been proud). Actually, it would be pretty cool (at least in my thinking) to get both the MBA and PhD, giving my a UofL trifecta – a clear differentiator against real world competitors. However, since I’m a self-funded student, the reality is that I’m probably not going to be able to handle paying that much in tuition fees, so I’d better make a decision either way soon.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts