More Murphy’s Law Mayhem

Murphy’s Law is at it again, ruining my (not-so) well planned scheme to submit my FM paper.

The paper itself is a bit confusing, as it requires a literature review and data analysis. On the surface, that wouldn’t seem to be much of an issue, but I can tell just by a cursory glance at the data that the literature review might not support the assumptions of the data. Therein lies part of the problem. Sure, I know that part of the problem is my time management (or lack thereof) and that I should have started working on this long ago if I wanted to acquit myself well on this assignment. However, at this point, since all I need to do is pass the class, I’m not so worried about doing a great job on the assignment. In fact, since I don’t actually need to pass this class in order to graduate, I should probably stop stressing myself out.

On the other hand, my ambition isn’t set up that way; I’ve never been the minimum requirements type. Things would be a lot less stressful right now if I could navigate the data analysis. However, I just discovered that the SPSS software I downloaded through the library requires a license key, which would be impossible to get before the assignment due date tomorrow. A quick Google search turned up an open source imitation called PSPP, but it’s clunky, unintuitive, and seems ill-equipped to handle the 300-observation data set required for the assignment. I can’t get the data imported, and it seems that the labels are going to be problematic. I could get some basic descriptive statistics for the data set from Excel, but I’m not sure how I would accomplish regression analysis that way.  Let’s hope I come up with an alternative fast, before I end up trying to draw charts by hand.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts