Next Steps….Maybe

As I continue to await my supervisor’s feedback, I can’t help but worry a bit. I recognize that he is likely overwhelmed with a large number of dissertations to supervise, and I’m sure he does have a summer vacation, but I need to know if I can proceed with the change in focus of my topic At this point, I suppose I simply need to press on with my research, as the difference in focus will have zero impact on the literature review.

On the bright side of things, I have met four great interview candidates over the past three weeks, two of whom have consented to be interviewed. I also have the makings of a good focus group, so as we say in the States, “We’re cooking with gas.” Although the process is a bit solitary, it’s quite interesting, and I feel that this research is giving me expert knowledge in the field of SME financing. So while I had initially expressed to some friends that I’d prefer to do a capstone project like we do in America, I can truly see the value of the dissertation at this stage. As a matter of fact, I am now thinking about looking for an opportunity to work with a VC or PE house. Nothing is definite at this point, but whereas I was previously only interested in working in consulting, I’m going to seriously consider these other options. However, having said that, I also understand that my chances of being hired at one of these institutions would be greatly enhanced if I earned a professional qualification in finance (CAIA, FRM, or CFA), so I guess that means I’ll need to look into exam prep courses shortly.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts