Education is a Journey

Every now and then, I stop to reflect on the journey towards my MSc Fin. I have to say that it has been both challenging and rewarding, and I’m almost sad that it’s coming to an end. On the one hand, I’m looking forward to the new career opportunities that I’m hoping I find with the qualification. On the other hand, I’m sad that upon graduation, I will no longer be a University of Leicester graduate student – although being a University of Leicester graduate does have a nice ring to it.

I suppose that since I was less interested in getting the qualification than I was in gaining the related skills and knowledge, being done with the program isn’t necessarily a milestone I’m looking forward to. I’ve been accused of wanting to be a lifetime student, and I suppose that’s a fair criticism. It’s also a stark 360 degree change from my attitude as an undergraduate student. Back then, although law school was next on my horizon, I was determined to not go to school again after graduating from law school. Back in my youth, my primary concern was being independent and making loads of money.

At this stage of my life, the more I learn, the more I want to learn, and the more I realize how much more I want to learn and experience from the world. I’m not certain I want to commit myself to a lengthy doctorate program, but insofar as it’s a way to continue a relationship with a university that has enriched me from afar, I’m considering applying for a PhD so that I can extend the depth of my knowledge in ways that will allow me to pay it forward and similarly empower others. Besides, it will also afford me the opportunity to attend the Master Class sessions on campus in the summer – something I have, regretfully, not had the opportunity to do thus far.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts