On The Comeback Trail

Gee whiz! It’s been a while. Too long, in fact. Just when I thought I had the downhill portion of this race under control, there was a fork in the road, and I ran smack into a tree.

I had a health situation arise from out of nowhere, and it really set me back. Unfortunately, I’m looking at a fairly long road to recovery, but the show must go on. I’m extremely grateful that I was able to get an extension on the submission deadline for my dissertation, as coming this far only to miss the deadline and NOT receive my MSc would be an unequivocal disaster.

You know how they always talk about work-life balance? Well, it seems even more challenging as a distance learning student. But then again, I don’t suppose that balancing real life with the pursuit of a master’s degree would be appreciably easier by studying on campus. Masters level coursework is demanding, irrespective of the mode of study, though there are surely a number of support services available on campus. Having said that, I would also have to think that unless the on-campus program were structured like many in the States, which allow master’s candidates the option of attending class part time in the evenings and/or weekends, there would still be inevitable challenges with regard to class schedules and the like.

Anyway, I have to try to refocus my energy on finishing my dissertation as soon as possible, though the fact that I’m looking at 12 weeks of treatment somehow puts a damper on things psychologically, and I’m clearly not at my physical or mental best. However, the show must go on, and I’ve got to finish this degree, not matter what. I would say, ‘If it’s the last thing I do’, like we say in America, but I don’t want to wish that on myself.

Every setback is a setup for a comeback, so you have to bounce back.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts