Setting My Sights on The Target

It’s me again. I think. I mean, I don’t actually feel like myself, but I guess that’s to be expected under the circumstances.

I’d had a rough time focusing on my reading for my dissertation, so things haven’t gone exactly according to plan since my last post. Perhaps it my innate sense that my submission deadline only needs to be theoretically submitted now, as my real window of opportunity is a bit wider than that. I still have 8 months until my program ends, and my supervisor said it generally takes about one month for the 2 assessors to mark the paper. In that case, I could theoretically submit in June, and I’d still have enough time to make the necessary revisions and resubmit, if need be. But then again, I’ve never been one to take the worst case scenario as a given. I’ve successfully submitted an MBA dissertation, so I think that passing shouldn’t be as challenging as earning merit or distinction (which I’d love, but…let me not get ahead of myself).

However, recently, I’ve found a bit more energy, and this has helped me navigate the voluminous reading that I’ve got to conquer to finish the literature review. As I read more and more, I find myself thinking again about applying to the PhD program. It’s not that I want to necessarily be an academic, but I realize that I love research and I love everything related to SMEs and entrepreneurship, particularly as it relates to finance. I was hoping UofL had a DBA program, but it seems that my only opportunity to continue my studies here will be with a PhD. I hope to explore that possibility a bit more when I arrive on campus for graduation. That’s my one regret about this program – I’ve never had the opportunity to visit the campus. Due to work commitments, among other things, I was never able to attend summer school. I’d always taken a lackadaisical stance on graduation ceremonies – I skipped my high school graduation, and my father literally dragged me to my college graduation after driving 3.5 hours to campus – but I’m actually looking forward to graduating from University of Leicester and becoming a member of the alumni network.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts