A year out in the Capital

I have found out that i have been offered a place to do my intercalated degree at King’s College London. I will be undertaking Psychology. I am so excited to be doing this Bsc as it looks incredibly interesting. The Bsc is such a great opportunity to explore a specific area of interest in great detail. If used well, I believe the skills learnt through a Bsc course could be greatly beneficial towards their medical degree.

Some universities do not do intercalation at all, and some force intercalation. I think it is amazing that Leicester give the option to intercalate or to continue with the medical degree. Many of my peers feel motivated to continue on, and do not have a specific area of interest they would like to explore for a year. Also, for the international students, taking an extra year is large financial burden, especially since international students do not get students finance, and primary fees are considerably more.

Leicester has three main schemes of intercalation. So students either;

• Do a research project for a year -either clinically based or lab work
  • Join 3rd year of biological sciences at Leicester
  • Do a clinical sciences course on human behaviour, infection or cancer students (learning in depth about these areas)

For those into research, whether clinical or lab work, there are so may projects in Leicester that can be done, so you are bound to find one that suits you. Many people are able to do research into an important topic, and so actually bring out improvements. Many students also present their work at national conferences and sometimes even get published in medical journals, which is a massive achievement.

For myself, the course at Kings College London was most appealing to me. It is useful to look at all of the options available to you. Unfortunately, after this year, Leicester students will not be able to intercalate outside of Leicester. However, there are still many options in Leicester for people to pic from if interested.

I am scared to leave the comfort of my friends, the university and the city which I’ve come to know so well, but I am excited to explore another city, especially a city a exciting as London. And hopefully I will come back to Leicester with a lot more knowledge, experience and new perspective on medicine.

Tamara

About Tamara

Hey everyone! My name’s Tamara and I’m a third year medical student. I love dancing so if there is music playing, I will probably be found dancing around. I will mainly be talking about the interesting experiences the course has given me, as well as some of the amazing events the medical society has run.

View more posts by Tamara

Subscribe to Tamara's posts