As Phase 1 has officially ended, I thought it was imperative to compile a brief list of the most memorable moments (both academic and non-academic) I had in Phase 1. Since Phase 1 spans two and a half years, I cannot possibly encapsulate all my memories but I hope to recollect a few of the most poignant ones.
- Group work: I found group work useful because it enabled me to not only appreciate the same problem from different perspectives, but it also enabled me to enhance my teamworking skills and optimise the amount of knowledge I acquire during each session.
- Hospital ICC Sessions: I found these sessions valuable because they not only exposed me to the rigorous, time-sensitive environment of a hospital, but it also gave me the opportunity to hone my skills in history taking and clinical examinations.
- Dissection of the brain: This by far was one of the most enriching dissection experiences as it enabled us to learn about the detailed, intricate anatomy of the brain by directly visualising the structures. There is something so infinitely sentimental and surreal about holding an organ that technically dictates the way we are as people and truly constitutes our behaviour, thoughts and actions.
- Grub Crawl (a Freshers Introweek event): This was a particularly popular (yet less known in comparison to its more popular counterpart, the Pub Crawl) event in Introweek which promised a supply of endless food from delicious spring rolls to a plethora of fast food and milkshake options.
- Summer Ball: This is a joyous event organised by LUSUMA that unofficially marks the end of an academic year. With a range of exotic food options and interesting outfit themes, the evening offers lots of photo opportunities and the opportunity to interact with colleagues.
- Oadby Village events: As a first year medical student, both starry-eyed and sincere, the events organised by Oadby helped me settle in seamlessly. There was an event nearly for every occasion – from a Great Gatsby themed party to celebrate Christmas to a ferociously competitive Pancake Olympics on Pancake Day.