Exams and results

When we head to our exams it can seem like our entire lives depend on their results. Parents’ pressure, teachers’ warnings and friends’ worrying can all add up to it becoming an enormous weight on our shoulders, one that is tough to bear. It can indeed be a little frightening to think that everything in the future will depend on what we do now, but while studying and learning new things is incredibly important, it has to be remembered that such a notion can be applied to anything and isn’t necessarily true. I’m a great believer in doing what makes you happy and if you believe that studying day and night will bring you happiness, then do it. Otherwise it might be useful to find a good work-life balance and remember that however important this one exam may seem now it isn’t all it’s cut out to be. I think many people can forget that life is about living and while putting effort into your work which hopefully interests you greatly is amazing and rewarding, it shouldn’t take over your entire life. I’ve complied a list of tips that can help while you’re studying in the future:

• Systematic work: I believe in this method in the long run. Doing a little extra work than needed everyday is better than studying from 6am until midnight during exam time. I think we’ve all been there, so let’s spare ourselves the pain!
  • Two brains is more than one: Working with your friends (as long as it doesn’t turn into a gossip session entirely) can be really helpful and rewarding. Studying can be isolating if you do it on your own and make you feel like you haven’t got a social life. Why not combine the two?
  • Take a break: I find that if I’ve been working for 5 hours it gives my brain a good boost to take a break and chat about something other than Rochester’s choice of strong language.
  • Do not panic: Yes, it can be taunting to do exams and even more to wait for their results but try to remember there are other things in your life which probably matter more!

Take care!

Karolina

About Karolina

Hello, my name is Karrie and I’m a third year Modern Languages student. I love animals, books and all things vintage!

View more posts by Karolina

Subscribe to Karolina's posts