Law with a Modern Language

Welcome to the Modern Languages student blog!

As this is my very first post, let me talk about why I chose to study Law with a Modern Language at Leicester.

Currently, I am in my second year of a 4-year programme. Here at Leicester, you are given a choice between French, Spanish or Italian as an extra flavour to your law degree. A lot of people have asked me why I chose Spanish and all I can say is: why not? Originally, my interest came from the Cris Morena Group (CMG), a company that produced some of my favourite Spanish-language childhood series. Armed with just YouTube, pen and paper I decided to learn the language so that I could understand what was going on. From there, I continued learning the language during after-school classes and the rest is history…

I always knew I wanted to do a joint degree course but it wasn’t until the start of my A-levels that I decided to study Law with Spanish. I first started considering law courses following a trip to Waterstones where I got a copy of Glanville Williams: Learning the Law. I remember referring to it in my personal statement and being so excited that I finally found what I wanted to study. So much so that I didn’t pay much attention to anything else at the time.

Above all, I wanted to be able to develop the skills that I had read about such as interpreting the written word and crafting arguments. For me, law is an interesting, intellectually stimulating subject and although I complain about the reading like every other student, I am always adding more books to my reading pile simply because I genuinely find my modules fascinating. I believe that is one of the reasons why they say that your university experience should be great – you should be studying something that you truly enjoy!

Choosing to study Law with a Modern Language at Leicester was a great choice once I knew that it would make me happy. It wasn’t easy to get to that stage but once I did, it felt like a weight was off my shoulders. All I had to do was sit down and think about what was important to me, what I wanted out of University and which course would best cater to that. So, for those of you deciding which university or course you should choose, I suggest taking a moment to figure out what your motivations and values are. Find out what is important to you and from there it’s simply a case of finding the university that offers you just that.

Thank you for reading and don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Until next time,

Cintya 🙂

Cintya

About Cintya

Hola! I'm Cintya and I’m currently in my year abroad studying in Spain. I'll be blogging about my experience so far as an Erasmus and Leicester student, about the course and the social side of university life, particularly, all the extracurricular activities and programmes that Leicester offers that you can get involved in.

View more posts by Cintya

Subscribe to Cintya's posts

4 responses to “Law with a Modern Language”

1. Anna

Hi Cintya,

Where will you be going in your year abroad?

2. Stephenie

Hi Cintya,

I was wondering at what point did you realise that Leicester was the right university for you?