There are a lot of great places at the university such as the MLSC and the Students’ Union but nothing compares to the David Wilson Library (DWL). It is, without a doubt, my favourite part about the university and the one place that I will miss the most when I leave for my year abroad. I’ve already had a look at my host university’s website to check out their library but it pales in comparison with Leicester.
So, whilst contemplating what to have for breakfast this morning, I realised that I hadn’t written a post about my favourite place at university. So here it is, the top 5 things I love about the DWL:
1. The Basement – There is a spot that I found in my first year, a little corner that my friends and I used to revise for our exams. We spent days going through Contract Law during exam season in that corner and it helped a lot. It is isolated from everyone and ideal if you want a little bit of privacy. You can also find the Multimedia Room in the basement which is another room that I love to use. It is just opposite the group study B.1
2. The Lockers- I carry more books and folders than your average student. There were times when I even carried a pair of flats and gym clothes. So, you can imagine how useful those lockers were to me during those times.
3. The Study Rooms- I believe that I have spent at least a quarter of my time at university in those group study rooms. My favourite ones are 2.0, 1.3 and the ones in the basement. Although depending on the time and season it can be very difficult to book a room and most of the time they should be in good condition but don’t be surprised if the students who used it before left without cleaning up, it has been known to happen occasionally.
4. The OSCOLA workshops- For those of you that don’t know, OSCOLA stands for the Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities. It’s the chosen referencing style for Law at Leicester. Our law librarian runs various workshops throughout the year so that students can get acquainted with it. All law students should attend at least once. It’s useful and it helped me a lot in my first year.
5. The BBQ Chicken Panini- I remember the first time I tried it in the library café. I was with a couple of friends and we were on our way to Rattray lecture theatre. I hadn’t eaten anything so I went quickly to the library café and I got the first thing that I came across and the rest is history.
There are lots of other things that I like about our library but these five are without a doubt my favourite ones.
Like always, thank you for taking the time to read my post and feel free share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Until next time,