Erasmus 4- First month at RESA

I still can’t believe it’s been a month since I checked in the residence hall. For those of you that haven’t been following my Erasmus experience, you can check my last post here. Also, you should take a look at the Spanish accommodation post for reference.

Now, for those of you, that know how much stress I had with finding a place this year, I am happy to report that my time at RESA has been great so far. I couldn’t ask for a better place to stay during the mobility.

BUT, (there is always one) it has only been a month and I still have to be realistic here. A lot can happen in the next couple of months but hopefully, everything will continue to run smoothly.

When I first arrived, I was greeted with warm smiles and air conditioning – the air conditioning itself was enough to make me happy. At first glance, the reception staff were a bit serious for my liking but it was more due to the workload than anything else since students were starting to arrive and check in. However, it didn’t take long for me to warm up to their charm. Now, they are a source of laughter if anything. They make you feel right at home and that my lovely readers, is a skill worth having.

The days following my arrival were filled with shopping trips and lots of unpacking. It was only later on throughout the month that I finally managed to take some time to myself and relax. In the last couple of days, I learned a lot about the ways of the Spanish if I can even put it like that but you will read more on that on a later post.

Now, let’s talk about RESA Erasmo.

Reception area featuring Soraya and Ainhoa (Gracias chicas!)

Like I said, I loved the staff and although I haven’t had a chance to enjoy the gym or the other common areas yet, I’m happy to say that all the other rooms met my expectations. They were exactly like the pictures presented online; a rarity in itself if you ask me. My room, however, was nothing like the pictures, it was too bare and much darker than what I expected but it had everything I needed as well as what was advertised. However, I was disappointed with the fact that the kitchenette did not have an oven. I was not expecting that, but I was told that we could use the two ovens that they have downstairs so not all is lost.

Our gym and my friend Cristina trying out the treadmill

The residency itself has two buildings. RESA 1 and 2, I live in RESA 1 which is the old building. It is where most of the freshers live as well. Most of the older students tend to stay in RESA 2 which is the “new” building but from what I hear there isn’t that much of a difference. It is all pretty much the same in terms of the rooms. In terms of the launderette, we have one in each building, in RESA 1 you need to get this white card and top up so that you can do your laundry. It costs €2 to use the washing machine and the dryer and the minimum amount that you can top up is €10 which you can do so in reception, but if you don’t have the card, you can go to RESA 2 where you can use coins instead.

My Kitchenette without the oven

Apart from the cafeteria, every other room you need is in RESA 1. You have the gym, the pool table, the study area as well as lots of other rooms that you can book and use. Essentially, if you are self-catered like me, you almost never set your foot in RESA 2 as everything you need is in RESA 1.

Staying at RESA was a great decision because there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t run into a friend or acquaintance. The best part of this is that you are surrounded by Spanish students so it is definitely a fast track approach to improving your Spanish. The one thing that surprised me was how seriously they take freshers. The older students go all out when organising events here at the residence hall. This whole month was filled with activities, there was something going on every night, from their “sangriadas” to auction nights there was no excuse for not socialising and meeting your fellow neighbours. It is nice to see how committed they were to their “novatos” (the Spanish equivalent to fresher) which is why I can’t wait to see what they have planned for the big welcome party in a few days.

My lovely neighbours from Resa 1

Like always, thank you for taking the time to read my post and feel free share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Until next time,

Cintya 🙂

Cintya

About Cintya

Hola! I'm Cintya and I’m currently in my year abroad studying in Spain. I'll be blogging about my experience so far as an Erasmus and Leicester student, about the course and the social side of university life, particularly, all the extracurricular activities and programmes that Leicester offers that you can get involved in.

View more posts by Cintya

Subscribe to Cintya's posts