Erasmus 9: Celebrating your Birthday

For those of you that know me, you will understand my keen interest in maintaining traditions and of course celebrating birthdays.

As an Erasmus student, one of the main concerns I faced (apart from the paperwork and understanding Spanish law) was how I would go about celebrating my 21st birthday. It is understandable since it not your typical birthday but another milestone. Your 21st should always be remembered fondly and I knew from the start that spending it whilst in Erasmus would be a unique celebration in itself yet I still wondered how I would celebrate it without my family and friends at home.

Thankfully, I had an incredible day thanks to my lovely friends who went above and beyond and made my 21st one of the best birthday celebrations a girl could have.

So what was so special?

Well, one should never underestimate the effects of being surrounded by Erasmus students who are filled with that positive lets-do-it attitude. The friends I made here have definitely made my experience great so far and to think that I didn’t even know them 3 months ago is an even stranger thought. The short amount of time that I had with them was more than enough for me to understand how lucky I am to have a good supporting network around me.

A couple of minutes before midnight, the girls started knocking on my door and we all started chatting until midnight when I blew my candle and made my first birthday wish.

Afterwards, they continued conversing for the next hour and a half until, eventually, leaving me to get my beauty sleep. One of the few things I appreciate in life is the time I spend with my family and friends talking about the most random topics you can imagine. It is in those precious moments when you get to enjoy each others company that I am happy and relaxed. This is why I couldn’t have asked for a better way to start the day.

Later on, I went to a Portuguese cafe with my charming Argentinean friend for breakfast and I took the opportunity to go and get my birthday cake for the evening. It took some time to choose what I wanted and where I wanted it from but we ended up deciding to get the “Ponche de Chocolate” from this place called La Mallorquina. The day then went by as usual with classes and seminars. By the time I arrived home, I had to start getting ready for dinner with my friends. Dinner was interesting, in a good way. My lovely friends decided to get me some wings for my outfit which I was not expecting at all. They did bring out my angelic side thou so I can’t complain. So imagine wearing a tiara, a pink and white birthday sash topped up with some white wings on your back. What do you picture?

Well, I will leave it to your imagination.

Like always, thank you for taking the time to read my post and feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Until next time,

Cintya 🙂

Cintya

About Cintya

Hola! I'm Cintya and I’m currently in my year abroad studying in Spain. I'll be blogging about my experience so far as an Erasmus and Leicester student, about the course and the social side of university life, particularly, all the extracurricular activities and programmes that Leicester offers that you can get involved in.

View more posts by Cintya

Subscribe to Cintya's posts