Operating Department Practitioners do it all!

Hey! So I thought that my first blog should be an overview about the Operating Department Practice course.

When I first applied for the Operating Department Practice (ODP) course, having never set foot in a operating theatre before, I felt slightly unsure about the different roles that the ODP performs. Most people have no idea what an ODP is, let alone what they do and the internet isn’t much help either! I hope to clarify the ODPs diverse role in the following paragraphs.

The Anaesthetic ODP – The Anaesthetic ODP works with an anaesthetist and anaesthetises the patient prior to surgery. They collect the patient, bring them down to theatre, attach monitoring equipment to the patient and assist with intubation and extubation.

The Scrub ODP – The Scrub ODP works with the surgical team and passes instruments to and from the surgeon, whilst maintaining a sterile field. They have to perform a surgical hand wash and wear a gown with gloves and a mask.

The Recovery ODP – The Recovery ODP works in recovery. Here they will monitor the patients vital signs and will ensure that the patient has made good progress after their procedure, before handing them over to ward staff.

My personal favourite is working in anaesthetics because I find it to be the most rewarding due to the level of contact you can have with patients before their surgery.

Here is a useful link for further reading – https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/operating-department-practice/operating-department-practitioner

Lizzie

About Lizzie

Hey! My name is Lizzie and I’m a second year student studying Operating Department Practice (ODP). As well as blogging about subjects relating to this course, I hope to also give you an insight into what student life is like at the University of Leicester. Due to the nature of my course, I expect a fair amount of my blog will be about attending the different placements at the University of Leicester Hospitals.

View more posts by Lizzie

Subscribe to Lizzie's posts

2 responses to “Operating Department Practitioners do it all!”

1. Lucie

Hey Lizzie! I hadn’t heard of ODP until now but it sounds very cool and is very different than training here in Canada. My dad’s an anaesthesiologist in Toronto, which is where I’m from! Good luck with your year! I look forward to learning more about the ODP course 🙂