Hospital placements

Part of being a student ODP is going to all different types of theatre placements over the duration of the course. I am based at the University Of Leicester hospitals so I get to go to a good range of different specialities of placements across all three of the hospitals in Leicester; the Leicester General Hospital, the Leicester Royal Infirmary and the Glenfield Hospital.

Recently I have spent time in Opthalmic and Paediatric theatres. Both of these specialities are very different, as you can imagine. However having a variety of different placements is important as we need to experience as many different specialities as possible in training to build on our existing skills and transfer them over to other placements. We also have some compulsory placements that we have to go to in our training, for example ENT and Orthopaedics.

The time that I spent in Opthalmic theatres was very interesting, as I got to spend time in anaesthetics, scrub and recovery. This really helped me to gain confidence in all of the ODP’s scope of practice and I really enjoyed it.

Lizzie

About Lizzie

Hey! My name is Lizzie and I’m a second year student studying Operating Department Practice (ODP). As well as blogging about subjects relating to this course, I hope to also give you an insight into what student life is like at the University of Leicester. Due to the nature of my course, I expect a fair amount of my blog will be about attending the different placements at the University of Leicester Hospitals.

View more posts by Lizzie

Subscribe to Lizzie's posts