As all students know, money can become easily scarce, with textbooks, vodka, and take out pizza all contributing to the demise of your student loan. Therefore the easy solution is of course a part-time job, however finding a job that will fit around your timetable, socials AND allow you to return home for the holidays can often prove difficult. Here’s my top tips on where to find university friendly work in Leicester!
1) The SU is obviously a great way to find university friendly work, from positions at Starbucks to bar work at the O2. Most positions on the SU website require you to send over a cover letter as well as your CV, so make sure you cater your cover letter specifically to the role your applying for. This will give you a chance to show off why you’d be the best possible candidate, as a fair amount of people will also be applying for the same position.
2) Unitemps is a recruitment agency hidden in the far corner of the student union, specialising in temporary jobs, student jobs and even internships. Register with Unitemps online, upload your CV and get job searching, it’s that easy!
3) The Highcross website features a page advertising the shopping centres latest vacancies, most vacancies either provide you with an email to send over your CV or ask for you to directly hand it in store. Obviously all companies vary in flexibility meaning some vacancies may not be the perfect fit for student life, however the website itself offers up a wide range of job opportunities allowing you to pick and choose what position would best suit you.
4) Local coffee shops, bars and restaurants are likely to advertise vacancies on recruitment websites such as Reed and Indeed. Also checkout the Leicester Mercury and Leicester City Council’s job vacancy pages. Local chains are more likely to be flexible when it comes to returning home from uni, so these are often the best bet if you’re planning on heading home for Christmas, Easter and Summer.
5) Most bars and clubs actually have Facebook pages, I managed to apply for a few jobs by literally Facebook messaging the club regarding any current vacancies. So Google local bars in Leicester and if any take your fancy, check if they have a Facebook page and try messaging them directly!