The pressure of going out every night at university.

I assume that the vision of university for most, is that it is one big party every single night, which is certainly what I thought and perhaps yes, for the first week or two this is the case. However, I’m sure you’re aware and have experienced that going out every night becomes draining; it isn’t healthy, it is expensive and it can become repetitive and boring – especially when Shabang play the same playlist every single Friday and LetsDisko, every single Wednesday.

The main issue I have experienced at university, both in Leicester and abroad, is that there is so much pressure to always be going out. I feel guilty when I decide to stay in one night because I feel as though I am wasting my university experience and this results in me eventually going out, when I would honestly much rather be at home, in bed on my laptop. I convince myself that the grass is greener, that going out is what you should be doing at university and that I should be as much of an extrovert as I can.

Whenever I get the opportunity to go out, I ponder on it a lot – people get fed up with my constant indecisiveness and inability to come to a conclusion for what may seem to some, like an easy decision. I weigh up everything: who’s going, cost, time, am I busy the next day, even the weather- when in actual fact, if I really wanted to go out, I wouldn’t have to ponder- I would just go out with no hesitation. That is what I have to keep reminding myself.

What I am trying to say, is that staying in is not a bad thing and it is not wasting your time whatsoever, nobody can be out constantly. The best thing you can do is choose the option that makes you happiest, and if you do not want to go out – that is okay! People will pressure you to go out but it is okay to stay in and save money for better quality experiences and memories and it is okay to stay in, thus wake up feeling fresh and then achieve things the next day. You aren’t boring.

To be honest, I couldn’t think of anything worse than feeling even slightly hungover every day.

Louise

About Louise

Hey, I’m Louise. I am currently studying on an Erasmus year in Amsterdam at VU University! I am a third year Criminology student and will be blogging about Criminology at Leicester, studying abroad, student life in Amsterdam specifically and student life in general all in aim of providing some insight and useful information!

View more posts by Louise

Subscribe to Louise's posts