A new year in the Netherlands: Goals? Resolutions? #1

Happy New Year! I returned to Amsterdam last night after a relaxing and enjoyable two weeks at home and have to say, I am very happy to be back. I think I definitely needed a break and some time at home but I was certainly excited to get back here. I’m always one for setting goals and writing lists so I figured this was a good way to document what I want to achieve for the rest of the academic year and perhaps look back on it at the end!

1. Education:

As I’ve said, Dutch universities definitely pose more of a challenge than what I’m used to, however with that said, I got 8/10 and 8.5/10 in my two most recent exams! So that means I’ve passed, and done really well in all of my modules so far so I must be doing something right! However, I did get a little stressed during revision. Therefore, this is going to be a classic and cliche but I really am going to try and make my revision notes as I go on, and stay on top of the reading! It makes even more sense to do it here because we get a maximum of eight weeks of learning a module and then having the exams!

2. Travel:

I visited Haarlem, Utrecht, Liege and Maastricht (multiple times) so far however I’m determined to go elsewhere! I already have Berlin all booked for March and then I would love to go to Poland in June and then explore other Dutch cities such as The Hague and Rotterdam on random weekends. Sadly, as much as in theory, it makes sense to go here, there and everywhere because i’m already on the continent of Europe, travel via train and plane from and throughout the NL is pricey, that I cannot deny, so that definitely hinders things a bit. However, I am going to make the most of what I can afford most definitely!

3. Friends

I’ve spoken about friends a few times and perhaps making new or more friends isn’t a goal of mine, but I do think I almost became a bit of a hermit towards the end of last year, which is perhaps why I wasn’t enjoying my time here as much as I could. So, I’m simply going to try and put myself out there more and push myself. I know I’ll find this far easier when the weather picks up again but no time like the present to try!

I shall leave it here for now as I’ve already rambled on a bit and will come back with a part two in a week or so!

Once again, Happy New Year! 🙂

About Louise

Hey, I’m Louise. I am currently studying on an Erasmus year in Amsterdam at VU University! I am a third year Criminology student and will be blogging about Criminology at Leicester, studying abroad, student life in Amsterdam specifically and student life in general all in aim of providing some insight and useful information!

View more posts by Louise

Subscribe to Louise's posts