Documenting your year abroad

Documenting my year abroad was a really important necessity of mine, and as i’m sure – a lot of other people! I’ve always been interested in photography, I wouldn’t say it’s really a strong skill of mine but I enjoy it nonetheless. I’ve also always been interested in purchasing a Polaroid camera for a long, long time and a year abroad seemed to be the perfect excuse to purchase one! If you’re interested, I decided on the Fujifilm instax mini 70. I went for the instax mini over the regular sized photos/film because I thought they looked really cute and the film is cheaper. I’m still getting to grips with it and i’ll be honest, Polaroids don’t produce high-quality photographs but I adore the look of the photos. Here are some of the ones I’ve captured so far of my time in Amsterdam.

• This was my first polaroid, it was meant to be of the Carnival that Amsterdam holds in Dam Square in October but unfortunately, this lady walked right in front of the camera as I clicked the button! I wasn’t too impressed as I think it would have been such a lovely photo!

• This is a photo of a lovely sunset I saw as I was cycling in Amsterdam Zuid. The cameras do seem to work best indoors as they don’t always pick up colours great, but it’s still pretty cute.

• This is a gorgeous shot of the canals throughout Amsterdam Central. Once again, it didn’t pick up the colours amazingly, the sky was actually perfectly blue but, I love how it turned out nonetheless. It kind of reminds me of a water colour painting.

• This is a photo of my friend and I on her birthday! It was my first (intentional) photograph of people and I was pretty happy with the result.

• These two are just some attempts at shooting inside the Botanical Gardens in Amsterdam (definitely worth a visit!) This was the rainforest room so it was very dark so they didn’t come out great but I think the colours look pretty decent.

• This is probably my favourite – I needed some fresh air and thankfully, surrounding my campus are beautiful canals and lanes away from busy roads. All of the birds thought I had food, probably bread specifically (which you definitely shouldn’t feed to birds!) so they all came up to me! It was a very crisp lovely winters day.

• This is my second attempt at a photo of  this sort, sadly, my boyfriend is actually in this photo, but the camera didn’t pick him up! I love the colours and how it turned out anyway. This is the Christmas market in Maastricht!

Hope you enjoyed seeing some photographs of more things I’ve been upto and I’ve given some inspiration and a couple of things to do here!

About Louise

Hey, I’m Louise. I am currently studying on an Erasmus year in Amsterdam at VU University! I am a third year Criminology student and will be blogging about Criminology at Leicester, studying abroad, student life in Amsterdam specifically and student life in general all in aim of providing some insight and useful information!

View more posts by Louise

Subscribe to Louise's posts