As 2018 draws to a close, I wanted to take some time to reflect on what I would label one of the best years of my life. This past year has really confirmed to me that I made the best decision that I could have done in deciding to come to the University of Leicester and I’m going to take just a few moments to share why.
Despite loving every minute of university, there has of course been some very stressful times! Whether that be exam stress, homesickness, illness or simply just not enough time to do everything I desire – my friends have proven to be the best I could have wished for. This past year has proven to me that what many told me before going to university, is in fact true: “friends you make at university are friends for life”.
It is important to say though that this has not meant that I have disregarded my friends from back home – instead, one of my happiest memories of this last year was when my friends from home came to stay with me. It was amazing to see my closest friends from across the country all in one place and them meeting again is one of the things I am most looking forward to in the year ahead! I am already trying to plan it!
I have also been given, and taken up so many opportunities during this past year. I have:
- Joined the gym and the Volleyball Club
- Been a Study Buddy for visiting Japanese students
- Become a Student Ambassador for the University
- Helped to run a summer school for year 9s and 10s as a Summer School Mentor
- Met the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on campus
- Done voluntary Christmas gift wrapping for disadvantaged children
Something I am most proud of this year is gaining a 2.1 in my first year. Although my first year doesn’t count towards my degree, to know I am on target for the grade I ultimately want to end up with has given me a real boost to continue working hard.
I have had a decent work/play balance though, so alongside all of that hard work, I managed to plan a lot of fun stuff with my friends:
- Raised over £400 for a Leicester-based homeless charity named The Bridge by sleeping out on campus for a night
- I visited my flatmate Bryony’s, hometown – Doncaster, with my other flatmate Holly
- I went to Paris and Rome with my boyfriend, Jowan
- 5 of the friends I am now living with came to visit Jowan and I in Devon during the summer break – see Holly’s vlog of the trip here!
- We went to the Birmingham Christmas Market
- And, we cooked an amazing Christmas dinner for our larger group of 11 friends!
So that’s pretty much my 2018 summed up! If you have any questions about anything I have done or maybe you have done something similar, then please ask/let me know in the comments below!
Here’s to 2019 – Happy New Year folks!