First Aid

I am on the committee as Secretary for the First Aid Society which means as well as my secretarial duties I help teach our members first aid at our sessions each week.

We try and teach a new skill of first aid every week as well as recapping what we have already taught. This is because the key to first aid is repetition, repetition, repetition! So when (if) you come to treat a casualty, it should be second nature what to do and you won’t sit there thinking or trying to remember when the casualty is still injured!

In terms of actually treating a casualty, our society is also a unit of Β St John’s Ambulance. So if you wanted to volunteer for them, you become a member of St John’s Ambulance and then go on a Trainee First Aider (TFA) course. You can then go out on duties but as you would only be a TFA, you would have to be supervised. This allows you to get to know the ropes a bit and also just makes sure that you know what you’re letting yourself in for and if that’s what you really want to be doing! πŸ˜‰ You can then go on your First Aider course which is longer and would mean you wouldn’t need to be supervised out on duties.

We do also like to have a laugh and we had our first social which was a bandage bar crawl yesterday. This involved everyone doing lovely bandages on one another and then putting fake blood all over them! I put fake blood on my hands to put hand prints on people and it still hasn’t washed off! So now I look like I have very severe burns on my hands πŸ™‚

First aid is a very important skill to have. It gives you the confidence to know what to do if there was an accident or someone collapsed or injured themselves. It quite seriously can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. So I would definitely advocate learning it, whether through a society or just by going on a first aid course. It is well worth any effort and expenditure.

Dissertation

I have done a lot more on this than last week! We had an outline of our dissertation due, which involved talking about our chapter headings and writing a paragraph per chapter on what it will be about. I hadn’t realised until this year we would have deadlines for our dissertation. They are formative and so do not count towards our mark but I think are actually a good idea even if I might not like doing them! πŸ˜‰ They allow you to gather your thoughts and give you a target to work towards so you are not just aimlessly reading. I now know in which direction I want my dissertation to go in and can focus my reading accordingly.

Natalie

About Natalie

Natalie has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Natalie

Subscribe to Natalie's posts