Opportunities at uni

Since declaring that you were going to go to uni, it is likely that a lot of people told you not to miss out on any of the opportunities uni was offering. But what opportunities does uni actually offer?

• A chance to become involved in sports and societies. In 1st year that simply means attending them but at the end of 1st year you’re allowed to run for a committee position for the following year. This is an opportunity that allows you to gain some experience in whatever position you hold, be it secretary, treasurer or president but also allows you to build on skills such as team work. So yes it’ll look good on your CV, but it will also be a very fun and rewarding experience in itself and not as scary as you might think! 😉
  • The opportunity to grow academically. Throughout my time here at Leicester I have learnt the best techniques for myself for writing essays and also had plenty of experience giving presentations. Standing up in front of a lot of people is a worry to a lot of people but simply by practising it, it becomes easier. I used to worry about giving presentations and I would be lying if I said I still didn’t but I certainly worry less now and feel more confident when giving them.
  • Leicester also offers you the chance to apply for the Leicester Award, which is something that will add to your employability. Further information about this can be found here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/careers-new/exp/la 
  • There is of course a Unitemps at Leicester which offers all sorts of jobs, with all sorts of hours. Although you don’t come to uni to get a job, it can help support you financially as well as giving you experience for after uni, so it is something to look out for.
  • The opportunity to become more independent and confident as an individual. Uni offers a lot of skills and a lot of things for our CVs but it also offers us something as people.

I’m sure there are a lot more opportunities at uni than I’ve mentioned but think about the ones I have. University is a very enjoyable, reward-able and growing experience.

Natalie

About Natalie

Natalie has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Natalie

Subscribe to Natalie's posts