A Study in Stress

It’s that time of year again when I have multiple deadlines in a row, and I’m definitely feeling the pressure. My first essay deadline was on Monday, and since then I’ve been working frantically to meet my deadlines on the 17th and the 24th. Seeing as I’ve been terribly stressed, I thought I’d share a few tips for dealing with the workload.

1. Plan in advance. I find it very helpful to make a timetable to plan out when I will write each assignment, especially as in History & Archaeology the deadlines tend to build up very quickly. This helps me to organise my time, and while it doesn’t always stop me from being swamped with work, it does give me more time to work on each assignment. Which is especially helpful if, like me, it takes you ages to write an essay.
  2. If you can’t find enough resources, talk to your seminar tutors. It can often be difficult to track down relevant journals and books through the university library website, but the tutors know their subjects and can offer guidance (and even lend you books).
  3. Again, I’ve found it helpful to discuss my essay plans with my tutor, and I normally drop in to their office hours once I’ve planned and written the introduction.
  4. If you find you have writer’s block or are really stressed, take a break and watch a film or go out with friends. It will feel like you’re wasting time, but when you come back to writing it will go much quicker. Someone once told me that my mental health was more important than my school work, and it’s absolutely true.
  5. Chocolate always helps!
  6. If you find it difficult to read academically for long periods at a time, alternate reading a chapter with 5 or 10 minutes of something you enjoy. Alternatively, I’ve found that instrumental music really helps me to concentrate, and you can always find good study music mixes online.
  7. And finally, if your assignment doesn’t go as well as you would like, it’s not the end of the world. Truly.
Essay Planner

Essay Planner

anna

About anna

Anna has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Anna and I’m a second year History and Archaeology student with a passion for literature and military history. I’ll mostly be talking about the Archaeology side of my course and what it involves, and what it’s like to no longer be living in Halls.

View more posts by anna

Subscribe to anna's posts