Dissertation Ideas

The first year and a half of my course has gone so quickly, and I can’t believe I’m already having to think about dissertation topics. Because of the need to take a 2nd year dissertation preparation module this semester in order to do a history dissertation, I’ve decided to write mine in archaeology because I couldn’t fit in the appropriate modules with the others that I wanted to take.

However, beyond that I have very little idea of what I want to study, and I’ve been trying to figure out just exactly what I’m interested in enough to spend months of research on:

• What time period? I’m interested in anything from the Mesolithic to Iron Age, which unfortunately doesn’t really narrow things down much.
  • What places? My main interest is in North-West Europe, particularly in monuments and hill-forts.
  • What themes? Weaponry and Warfare, and Death and Burial are the most interesting topics to me, although I also enjoy learning about Mobility and Settlement.
  • What methods? I enjoy fieldwork and particularly Experimental Archaeology, and I also enjoy reading so long as it doesn’t include too many complicated statistics. That said, I think topics such as stable isotope analysis are fascinating for what they can tell us about people’s lives.
  • What resources are there? This has been my main issue so far, and something I need to talk to my personal tutor about, particularly in terms of resources for Experimental Archaeology.

Hopefully I can clear up some of these issues when I talk to my tutors, because I have enough essays lined up for the semester already that I am going to be very busy once again!

anna

About anna

Anna has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Anna and I’m a second year History and Archaeology student with a passion for literature and military history. I’ll mostly be talking about the Archaeology side of my course and what it involves, and what it’s like to no longer be living in Halls.

View more posts by anna

Subscribe to anna's posts