It’s that time of year again when students start thinking about and looking at houses for their next year of study, and I have been doing the same! Despite being in a different country, yesterday myself and three other fellow University of Leicester archaeology students (and some of my closest friends at university) put a deposit down on a house for the next academic year. I cannot explain how excited I am for that next chapter in my life to begin.
I know how stressful the process of choosing who you are going to live with let alone choosing a house so early on in the academic year can be as I have now gone through this process twice, so here are some tips for when you are looking for, viewing and choosing your home for the next year.
- Firstly discuss a budget with your chosen housemates and work from there.
- Then discuss how far away from the university you are all willing to be – as some houses further away can be a lot nicer and are sometimes a cheaper price
- Discuss if anyone will need parking space/s – this can be found to be a problem later on!
- Now you have laid the ground work for budget, location and other conveniences start looking online at local student letting agents or even pop into the letting agents themselves and tell them what you are looking for – they can organise a number of viewing for houses within your budget
- Organising a time and date when everyone is free does not have to be a problem, ask one of your housemates to video the viewing and take lots of photos and ask any questions you may have if you cannot attend. Also do not fear asking for a second viewing – in fact I recommend this as a second look can sometimes change your mind, for better or worse
- Don’t be afraid to ask the letting agents and current occupants questions – the more you know the better
- Once you have narrowed it down to a few houses but cannot decide make a pros and cons list, even try to imagine yourselves as a group living in the houses chosen
From there hopefully you can all pick what will be your happy home for the following year and like me be extremely excited for starting that next chapter in your life.