Year One has comes to an end! In all honesty, I’m gutted! I’ve loved first year and have enjoyed everything that it has taught me. Whether this is moving into my first “flat”, living on my own or just exploring a new city; it has all been amazing!
As many students will be going into their first year next year I thought it would helpful to give soon to be freshers some advice!
- Bring posters and decorations for you uni room. When you move in, your uni room is pretty bland, you’ll be spending a lot of time there so it is a really good idea to make it as homely as you can.
- Get involved in sports teams and/or societies. I play rugby for the University which has helped me so much, it stops loneliness and helps you meet so many new people as well as helping to keep fitness levels up! I have met so many new people who are now basically my family. Use the freshers fair and sign up to as many clubs and societies possible.
- Don’t be nervous. This is a bit of a stupid one, of course, you’re going to be nervous, your whole world is going to change, University is a huge step for anyone but there are hundreds of freshers going through exactly the same as you, just say hello and make friends! Everyone will be feeling exactly the same!
- Explore the city. Leicester is a beautiful city with so many fun things to do! For example the Escape Asylum and brilliant places to shop such as the Market. I didn’t truly explore the city until the second semester and this is one of my biggest regrets. Leicester has so many fun things to do, make the most of the city!
- Join the Facebook Groups for your accommodation and course. There will be SO many groups for Leicester freshers, for your accommodation, freshers in general and your course. These help you to stay updated throughout the year as well as being able to get to know people before you arrive so your arrival is less daunting, this was something I am so glad I did and this is probably one of tips I recommend the most!
I hope these tips have been useful for you, there is much more I could mention but I will be sure to do another post soon on them!!
Bye for now