Deadlines, Inductions and Malaria

This past week has been really busy, what with three deadlines in three consecutive days and a 6 hour induction course today. Let’s just say, I’m ready for an evening off (and perhaps a cheeky trip to Club Republic)!

Essays are definitely one of my most dreaded things, but they’re something we all have to do. This past week one of my three deadlines was a 2500 word essay on taste perception. I usually get very bored with essays, but I have to say I actually enjoyed researching this as it’s quite an interesting topic! As you progress through your degree, you will learn to disregard textbooks and begin to use primary research papers. So what’s wrong with textbooks? For a start, most of them are too general for what you’re writing about. But more importantly, the information is likely to be out of date. Taste is a relatively unknown sense, so lots of research is being conducted all the time. Lots of papers I read were published this year, in fact. I think that’s my favourite thing about the third year; so much of what we learn is all relatively new, taught by lecturers who are currently working on the topics they’re teaching. One of our lecturers, Dr Tobin, was featured on Sky News last week for the research being conducted in his lab on proteins the malaria protist* needs for survival. Suffice it to say, he was really enthusiastic as he described his experience. It’s always great when you have a lecturer really passionate about their topic area, because the enthusiasm is contagious and makes the lecture really enjoyable. This research could open the possibility for a cure for malaria! News like this makes me proud to go to Leicester! You can see the full story on Sky News here.

In a previous post, I mentioned about my training to become a First Aider. Today I had my induction course – what could have been a very dull six hours was made rather enjoyable by an enthusiastic trainer and making new friends. Societies are a great way to meet new people, and even in third year you’ll still be meeting lots of new people! Highlights of the course included practising CPR and applying bandages to each other, but above all, the numerous cups of tea! Now that I’ve done my induction course, I can do a training session in the new year to become a qualified first aider – how exciting!

*Edited 05/03/2012 – Thanks to Ana who informed me that Malaria is a protist, not a virus!

Joshua

About Joshua

Joshua graduated from the University in Summer 2012 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Joshua

Subscribe to Joshua's posts

3 responses to “Deadlines, Inductions and Malaria”

1. Ana Karina

Hola Joshua! I really enjoyed your post. I’ve been checking some universities because I am interested in getting my masters degree and I found your blog here, which is very cool actually. I am bacteriologist and I’m working as clinical laboratory analyst, got my degree last year. With all respect, let me make a correction: Malaria is not a virus, is a protist called Plasmodium. I’m from Colombia and as you would imagine, we find parasites of Malaria every day. It’s good to know that’s a topic of interest in your country, that is a great health problem in our tropical countries. Well, I can only say that I love your Uni and I wish you the best wishes in your career! I will follow your blog through the Atlantic Ocean! 🙂

2. thomas

great post, hope next you’ll be a lucky.