The challenge of making new friends

friends-fingersI always knew returning to university to a whole new group of students in my lectures was going to be slightly tricky and this was confirmed when I walked into my first lecture for this year and was met with a sea of strangers. Not good. I had taken out a year from university to work in industry and so all of my friends had graduated when I returned. Even though it has been two weeks of lectures now, I still feel a surge of nostalgia when I walk into a lecture theatre and remember sitting (and often falling asleep!) with my friends in lectures, and in general just thinking about the great memories we had made together.

The thing I have found about trying to make a new group of friends now is that everyone has fallen into their distinct circles after having spent two years together, so I do feel at times like a third wheel. All is not hopeless though as I have managed to make some pleasant acquaintances and my transition into a life as a student again is going far more smoothly than I expected. I sorely miss having the freedom to plan my own days and spending time in labs doing meaningful scientific research but for now, I am concentrating on keeping on top of my workload. The third year of the course most definitely runs at a faster pace than previous years, something I thought to be impossible!

maryam

About maryam

Maryam graduated in the Summer of 2014 and is no longer blogging for this site. Maryam blogged about the final year of her degree in Medical Physiology after returning from an industrial placement year at GlaxoSmithKline.

View more posts by maryam

Subscribe to maryam's posts

2 responses to “The challenge of making new friends”

1. Chris

Haha, I’ll be in the same boat next year, when I come back from Year Abroad. But, my year are a relatively nice bunch, and am glad a few of them are welcoming you back. Hope the transition back to student keeps running smoothly!