Back from the Baltic

Hello blogging fanatics! Well, I have safely arrived back in Joensuu, Finland, after my tour of the 3 Baltic States. I had a wonderful time, and was sad to be heading back (considering the tumultuous amount of imminent deadlines).

All 3 cities (Tallinn, Estonia; Riga, Latvia; and Vilnius, Lithuania) had beautiful old towns which were wonderful to walk around. Like many old, historical cities, the Churches never fail to disappoint, with plenty of history being evident by the attitudes of local people to the majority of Russian Orthodox Churches. The fact that these states became independent from the old USSR about 20 years ago means that the signs of the old occupation are still evident (the Churches, but also the poverty). The states are still in the process of rebuilding themselves, but they seem to be doing fine.

They are also very, very cheap countries to go to (compared to Finland especially, but also compared to many other European countries). We made the most of it, by bringing back enough souvenirs and alcohol to sink a ferry (proverbially of course, otherwise the ferry back from Tallinn to Helsinki would have been a real struggle!)

Anyway, I share some pictures of these cities with you guys (though I must admit, crappy phone quality has meant there aren’t as many good ones as I expected), to fulfil you all until I go to Stockholm (I am SUCH a globetrotter!)

Enjoy xxxxxx

Bonnie the Bear overlooks the city of tallinn

Trakei Castle near Vilnius (unfortunately closed)

Chris

About Chris

Chris has now graduated from the University of Leicester. I'm a guy finishing my Undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences (with a year abroad) at the University of Leicester. After a fun year in Finland, I will be getting down to the nitty gritty of life for a final year in Biology (specifically Microbiology). Along with a rant on studying, there will be a sprinkling of society chatter and my imminent thoughts on growing up into graduation and the beyond!

View more posts by Chris

Subscribe to Chris's posts