It’s still August (just), the sun is shining (I wish) and the wait is over. You have your results and hopefully have a place at a University and you’re looking forward to starting! You might be reading this and thinking “Yesss I can’t wait to go!” which is great, but some of you will be incredibly nervous. Some of you will have got into your first choice, some your insurance and some of you will have gone through clearing.
It’s a stressful time, so here are my five top tips to prepare for Uni (wherever you are going) and make the summer amazing:
1) Don’t worry about where you have got your place – It’s easier said than done, but as disappointing not getting your first choice is and how stressful going through clearing can be University is about making the most of opportunities. So whether you’re going to the Uni you’ve been planning to since day one or a completely new opportunity from clearing remember that once you get to uni no one cares whether it was the one you planned to go to or the one you got a place at two days after results day. You’re all freshers together and that’s what matters.
2) Join the freshers 2017 Facebook pages for your Uni, course and, if you are staying in Uni accommodation, your hall’s groups. These are a fantastic way to chat to your fellow freshers before you arrive and maybe find a few faces from your course or flat so you have someone to look out for on the first day. Here is the link to the University of Leicester’s 2017 Freshers page.
3) Make time to see friends (before you go) – Use the summer to make some amazing memories with your friends and when you get to Uni don’t forget to send them a text or two. When it’s the holidays and you’re back home it’ll be worth the effort keeping your old friendships. Also if they go to Uni you’ll obviously need to visit, explore a different city and stay with them for free, right?
4) Learn to cook – Invest a bit of time into learning to cook a few basic (or not so basic if you are a budding chef!) recipes! It’ll be really useful and loads better for you than living off noodles… I promise. Also look out for a post this term about my favourite, easy to cook recipes!
5) Buy a doorstop – It’s much easier to make friends in halls if you have an open door and people can wander in and say hello!
I hope my five top tips for preparing for University are useful. Look forward to it and enjoy the rest of the summer!
2 responses to “How to prepare for University (and have an awesome summer before you go)”
These are some excellent points, I especially think joining the Fresher’s page is important because a lot of people (including me) were unaware about the fresher wristbands which meant we missed some cool events.
Hi Leon, thanks for your comment I’m glad you think the post is useful!! It’s a really good point that the Freshers pages on Facebook have a lot of information about events that are coming up!