I absolutely love meeting friends for a coffee or a drink and Leicester is certainly not short of places to do this. Obviously there are all the standard chains Costa, Caffè Nero, Pret A Manger for coffee and Turtle Bay, The Orange Tree and of course good old ’spoons for a drink. But look a bit harder and you will find there are so many small places that are far more interesting to spend a few hours in. Here’s just of few of my favourites:
- Six Degrees Coffee House – Located on London Road opposite the end of University road this Six Degrees is the perfect spot for a quick catch up with friends between lectures! Not only is it decorated with a cool utilitarian vibe (look out for the awesome pipe bookshelves on the back wall!!) it also serves delicious cakes and isn’t widely overpriced. If this isn’t reason enough to visit then knowing all their profits go directly to the Open Hands Trust in Leicester should convince you!
- Shake it Baby – This milkshake shop just away from the main high street, on Market Place, makes milkshakes from nearly every chocolate bar you could wish for! I highly recommend the Kinder Bueno milkshake and why not top it with some marshmallows or sweets?
- 200 Degrees – Okay this one is part of a small chain but it manages to achieve a cool individual feel all the same. Once again my favourite thing may be the interior design in this place but they also serve spectacular coffee, which is all ethically sourced! They also serve some delicious food combinations! This is a company that is incredibly passionate about good coffee and you can find them on Market Street… Just look for the A frame outside with the entertaining one liners!
- Madisons – Open later than a lot of cafes this is the perfect place to grab an evening coffee and desert. It may be slightly more expensive than some cafes, but the waffles and gelato are worth it! The gelato is made on site and being situated on London Road this is ideal to head to straight after uni.
- Café Mbriki – This small café can be found on Carts Lane, not far from the Highcross Shopping Centre. Proud to be one of the independent businesses that make up The Lanes of Leicester, I adore the Greek inspired food here! It’s also amazing value for money and with loads of healthy options, oh and of course cakes and hot chocolate!
- The Attic – This intimate bar has a great atmosphere and even better cocktails! Hidden away above The Cookie on the highstreet these guys are seriously good at making cocktails, and if gin is more your thing (which it isn’t mine) there is a range of different flavours to choose from. It might be pricier than your average pint but trust me it’s worth every penny!
- Hakamou – This place has always been packed when I’ve been, which speaks for itself. This is a fun bar, with delicious cocktails with some served in pineapples and coconuts. Find it on Bowling Green Street. Definitely worth a visit
- Firebug – A popular bar with students Firebug stays open until 4am most days. For those of you who want to carry on the party after Mosh Tuesday closes this is the place to go and is just around the corner on Millstone Lane! More than just a bar it also hosts a variety of it’s own events, as well as being used as a venue by a lot of societies for social events. They even have Firebug Cards, which are free to sign up for and give you discounts including ‘Happy hour all the time on All Cocktails’!
So that’s just a few of my favourite spots around the city, but there are many more to discover, let me know in the comments what your favourite café or bar is in Leicester!