As you know I’m Polo Captain this year for the Equestrian and Polo club, so I try to go to as many of the socials as I can. It’s a great way to meet the other members that don’t play polo and they are always a lot of fun!
This is a pretty busy time of first semester for me, most of my deadlines are around now, so planning costumes for socials can be overlooked and end up as a mad rush to find something.
A lot of the socials are themed and last weeks was our ABC (anything but clothes) social! Basically, whatever you were wearing could not be made from normal clothes…
This is a great theme because it’s cheap to make a costume and it’s also so much fun seeing what people think of using. So here are my top 5 things to make an outfit out of:
- Tape – this is great because it’s pretty easy to stick on and looks good, especially if you use a bright colour. However, getting it off after is a lot harder than you’d expect and I’d definitely recommend sticking it over a top not straight onto your skin!
- Bin bags – the firm favourite of the night. Bin bags are cheap and big enough to make a whole costume out of. Alex took this a step further decorating her bin bag dress with flowers made from different coloured plastic bags (look how great she looked!).
- Pillow case – this was a clever suggestion from a friend of mine because it gets around the possibility of ripping that comes with a bin bag.
- Playing cards – now no one did this on our social, but I have seen people before with whole dresses made out of cards! I assume they were stuck to an actual dress but never the less it looked awesome.
- Paper plates – this was an idea from a previous year that the club had this social theme. Paper plates are cheap but again I’d recommend pinning them to a piece of clothing to avoid big holes appearing in your costume if one gets ripped off!
So that’s my top 5 ideas for ABC costumes that don’t cost a huge amount! In the end I used tape for my top and a bin bag for my skirt!