So it’s not long been bonfire night and for me that signals the start of the festive period, which is without a doubt my favourite time of year! To make it even better this year I don’t have January exams, so although I will have uni work to be keep on top of (that dissertation won’t write itself) I won’t have to revise!
I love everything about this time of year. The food, the mulled wine, the lights and just the magical atmosphere. If this is your first year in Leicester in the run up to Christmas you may be wondering what goes on here…
- The Christmas light switch on is the 22nd November this year at 6.20pm. There will be entertainment on Humberstone Gate, street food on New Market Square and the nativity and Christmas scenes set up in Townhall Square with a brass band and some carols!
- Ice rink in Jubilee Square (near Mosh) – this is made with real ice and is undercover so it doesn’t matter what the weather’s doing you can enjoy a winter wonderland. Tickets can be booked online here.
- Wheel of Light in Jubilee Square – this is a big wheel that come to Leicester every year for the festive period and it’s really good fun! We went in my first year and it’s actually pretty high which gives you a great view of the city especially when it’s dark! They have student tickets for only £4.
- German themed outside bar in St Peter’s Square (Near Highcross) – serving German beers and mulled wine/cider this is the perfect place for a mid Christmas shopping refreshment stop. They also serve hot chocolate and snacks such as German sausages (if you’re not a veggie like me).
- Christmas on campus on Thursday 6th and Friday 7th December – There are a lot of things going on over the two days, including a farmers market and Christmas craft workshops. Have look here at everything going on!
I hope that you have a great last few weeks of term and find the time to go and enjoy some of these festive events in Leicester!