Welcome to Leicester!

Hello hello to all the new freshers!

I personally, cannot believe a whole year has passed since I myself was a fresher! Freshers is great- definitely make the most of it before you have to knuckle down a little bit- however make sure you can still make all your welcome lectures, as that’s where you will meet everyone, and soon discover that you are not the only one feeling a little apprehensive.

The biggest tip I can give for surviving first year is definitely joining a society. There are so many societies about, and if there isn’t one that takes your fancy (although I can’t imagine there can be) then just start your own! Societies are the perfect way to meet people similar to yourself, as sometimes if you don’t click immediately with your flatmates you can feel alienated.

I am a member of the UOTC- University Officer Training Corps, which I highly recommend (not that I am biased!) it’s definitely a must if you are considering a career in the forces like myself. A major perk of it is definitely the adventure training, so every summer (and some in the winter) we get the opportunity to go on amazing trips and learn new skills all at a heavily discounted rate! I myself have just got back from Malta, where I have been scuba diving all week to achieve my Ocean and Sports diver through BSAC. I can’t wait to find out what I can do next!

Katie

About Katie

Hello, my name is Katie and I am a final year Chemistry student (yes, can't quite believe it myself!) I will be blogging about what I get up to in the Chemistry department and how to balance workload with sport. When not in lectures, even though it does seem like we spend all our time in them... I'll be either in the gym/ out at Mosh/O2 spending money on countless VKs (obviously tropical/ orange as green VKs are horrid!) I am also both dyslexic and dyspraxic, so will give an insight on what it's like and what you can do if you too have been diagnosed with a specific "learning difficulty" of similar nature.

View more posts by Katie

Subscribe to Katie's posts