Don’t be afraid to get stuck in

Hello everybody,

As most of you will know, results day was two days ago. I hope that all you non-uni students out there all got the results you wanted. I also hope that my previous blog post talking about preparation for results day helped some of you out there, however I now wish to turn your attention to this blog post for the time being…

After reading the title of this blog post, you probably think it’ll be a rant about the lack of physicality in football players nowadays… however unfortunately it is not. It’s not footballers that I want to get stuck in, it’s you – specifically if you are going to be a new University student within the upcoming few months.

So Karam, ‘how on Earth can I get stuck in’ is probably what you’re wondering as you read through this. Well, it’s simple and below are a few steps on how you can get stuck in yourself to ensure that you have the best start to your University life as possible:

1. Move in early – Try to move into your accommodation as early as you can. The benefits of this are that you’ll be available to meet up with the rest of your flat mates once they move in – after all you’re going to be spending the next few months of your life with them.
  2. If you’re catered, take advantage – If you’re lucky enough to have chosen catered accommodation, it’s a great way to socialise and meet people in the canteen. You’ll find yourself sitting with your flat mates to begin with, but don’t be afraid to ‘get stuck in’ and sit with some completely random people you’ve never met before. They’re most likely first year students too and you very well might have a lot in common. If not then you’ve still made a few new friends – nothing lost.
  3. Go to your courses induction – Most courses at University start with an induction prior to any lectures at the start of your first year. TALK to people. You’re all on the same course so you already have something in common and believe it or not you’ll have a lot more. Add them all up on Facebook and secondly ask if any of them want to go to the freshers fair with you.
  4. Sign up to everything at the freshers fair – Signing up is free – unlike many things within the life of a student. So just how you pounce on freebies, sign up to all societies which interest you slightly. They will most likely ask for your a few details such as your e-mail and mobile number. Many societies hold a free first event for everybody (sometimes it can mean free food) so make sure you go there and again talk to as many people as you can.
  5. Last but not least, join your departments society and sports teams – If your department aren’t the sportiest (like Computer Science in my case) then I urge you  to take charge yourself and start a sports team to compete against other departments in your Universities sports leagues. Not only do you meet a lot of new people on your course, but you’ll also stay fit and have fun at the same time.

That’s it for this blog post. I hope you can all use the above five points to help you kick off your University lives for the best.

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts

One response to “Don’t be afraid to get stuck in”

1. Bobby

Good induction training for the fresher. Hats off Mr. Karam.